Deadline for applications: 24 February 2021
Download Award Information
This travel award is designed to reward, encourage and provide international exposure for Advanced Trainees in Respiratory Medicine, junior Respiratory Physicians, post-doctoral respiratory healthcare professionals, and Respiratory Researchers whose work focuses on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The award consists of up to NZD 4000 plus GST to cover the recipient’s expenses (return airfare, registration, accommodation, living expenses) to attend and present an abstract at a relevant international respiratory conference, including: the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP), the European Respiratory Society (ERS), Asian Pacific Society of Respirology (APSR), or the American Thoracic Society (ATS).
If the international scientific meeting does not proceed in 2021 due to the pandemic, the travel portion of the award will be transferred to a digital registration to the scientific meeting and/or to another conference of the recipient’s choosing. Remaining funds may then be used for professional development or research support upon approval by the Research Chair.
To be eligible to receive an award, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. A current member of TSANZ,
2. A citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand, or be endorsed by the Administering Institution in New Zealand,
3. A New Zealand-based health care professional or researcher,
4. Currently undertaking advanced training in Respiratory Medicine, or have completed training within the last five years of the closing date for this application, or
5. Have completed a research higher degree in the last five years of the closing date for this application.
6. Be submitting an abstract on COPD based work as a presenting author for the TSANZ ASM, and
7. Available to attend the next meeting of the selected conference to present an abstract based on similar work to that presented at the TSANZ NZ ASM.
 A Financial member of the TSANZ who has obtained the support of a proposer and seconder and has been endorsed by the TSANZ Board.
 The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution to have the requisite work visa in place, at the time of accepting the successful grant:
- The applicant will remain employed in Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period;
- The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution;
- IF the applicant is not a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident have the requisite work visa in place, at the time of accepting the successful grant;
- The applicant will remain employed in Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period.
The following conditions apply to this award:
Note: These conditions must be met to remain eligible for future award rounds.
Applicants must submit only an electronic application as a single PDF file via the online abstract submission portal. In order to be considered for this award, your application must be submitted by the deadline and must include:
Applications will be assessed by members of the TSANZ Research Committee according to the following criteria:
Significance and Innovation