Deadline for applications: 5pm AEDST 13th October 2020
Applications submitted after the submission date will not be accepted.
Download Award Information
The Lung Foundation Australia – Ludwig Engel Grant in Aid in Physiological Respiratory Research was established in 1992 in memory of Professor Ludwig Engel. Professor Engel was a distinguished Respiratory Physiologist who made an outstanding contribution to respiratory science and medicine both through his owns endeavours and influence on his colleagues. This Grant is made possible through the generous financial contributions from his many colleagues and donations made by the pharmaceutical and medical technology industries and the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Lung Foundation Australia is pleased to invite applications from early career researchers (ECRs) for the 2021 Lung Foundation Australia – Ludwig Engel Grant in Aid for Physiological Respiratory Research. Valued at $5,000 (+ GST) awarded funds may be used as a contribution towards physiological research of the respiratory system. For the purpose of this Grant physiological research is the use of any methodologies directed towards the elucidation of organ function and its understanding in a precise, quantitative manner.
1. This Grant in Aid is open to early career researchers (ECRs) who are undertaking or have completed advanced training in any health or science discipline or ECRs who have graduated with a higher degree in an area directly related to respiratory research within the last five (5) years of the closing date for this application.
2. Applications from ECRs must be supported by a senior investigator (Supervisor) with a strong track research record in respiratory research.
3. Applicants must be a member of Lung Foundation Australia (Health Professional Category) and a member of the Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand. Evidence of membership is required as part of the Grant application.
4. The Lung Foundation Australia – Ludwig Engel Grant in Aid in Physiological Respiratory Research is subject to the terms and conditions of the Lung Foundation Australia Research Grant Policy.
5. The duration of the Lung Foundation Australia - Ludwig Engel Grant in Aid in Physiological Respiratory Research is twelve (12) calendar months from the date of commencement.
6. Grant funds (the Award) are paid upon notice of commencement of the research project (75% total Award value) and upon submission of the final reporting milestone (25% of total Award value).
7. If the Grant is not taken up within twelve (12) calendar months the Award will be forfeited.
Applications will be assessed by the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand Research Sub-Committee using the following criterion:
Demonstrated interest in the area of respiratory research and research track record of Supervisor
Feasibility of project, including budget
Scientific merit including appropriateness of methods
Anticipated impact of project on relevant field and patient outcomes
1 September 2020
Open to application
13 October 2020 5pm (AEDST)
11- 18 December 2020
All applicants will be advised of the outcome by email
Please note that notification may be delayed if the review process being undertaken exceeds estimated time frame
Public awarding during TSANZ’s Annual Scientific Meeting
For application preparation enquiries:
Attention of General Manager Clinical Programs, Research & Innovation, Lung Foundation Australia
For application submission / post-submission enquiries:
Attention of TSANZ Awards Coordinator